Probate, Conservatorships, Guardianships

When an individual becomes incapacitated, a relative or other interested party must attend probate court and petition for conservatorship. It is a lengthy and complex process that requires the assistance of an experienced attorney. However, one can forego the process by appointing your own chosen advocate to ensure your wishes are respected. At E. Evan Cope, PLLC in Murfreesboro, our attorney has the knowledge and experience to either help you navigate this process or help you plan for the future.

Reach out to our Murfreesboro law office today at (615) 640-4241 to request an initial consultation and learn more about the services we provide.

What Can a Conservator or Guardian Do?

Conservators have a legal duty to act on behalf of the best interests of their ward. One can either appoint a conservator in an estate plan or, if an individual becomes incapacitated without such a plan in place, the court may appoint a conservator. A conservator will deal with an individual’s financial, personal, and medical decisions on behalf of their ward. Serving as one’s conservator or guardian (if the ward is a juvenile) is a major responsibility and there are several factors that must be considered when choosing or appointing an individual to fulfill these obligations.

Below are some of the responsibilities of a conservator or guardian:

  • Protect the ward and ensure a safe living environment
  • Oversee the health care needs of the ward and ensuring they are met
  • Act in the best interests of the ward
  • Take control of the ward’s assets and file an inventory with the court
  • Develop a budget and property management plan for the use of the ward’s assets
  • Account for the ward’s income and expenditures every year
  • When the ward passes, close the estate and oversee the burial of the ward

Assigning a proper conservator or guardian is crucial for ensuring an incapacitated loved one’s wellbeing and interests are effectively protected. You can rely on our law firm to assist you with this challenging process.

Contact Our Murfreesboro Law Office for the Skilled Legal Guidance You Need Today!

If your loved one has fallen ill or otherwise become incapacitated and cannot make important decisions, you can rely on the experienced attorney at E. Evan Cope, PLLC in Murfreesboro for the skilled legal counsel you need to ensure your loved one’s interests are protected. You can rely on us for the exceptional legal support and advice you need during this difficult time.

Get started and reach out to our Murfreesboro law office today at (615) 640-4241 to request an initial consultation with our compassionate and knowledgeable attorney and learn more about our legal services.